Aviva are looking to appoint a Liability Underwriting Lead within their SME Commercial Underwriting team.
Apply (by clicking the relevant button) after checking through all the related job information below.
You will be responsible for driving the underwriting strategy, risk acceptance and pricing for Liability Classes within Mid-Market, Digital Products and Schemes – GWP in excess of £300M.
Within the role you will be Leading, developing and implementing the Liability underwriting, pricing and quality strategy. You will also build the teams capability and underwriting development of new products and appetite extensions.
A key part of the role will be ensuring we have a clear strategy, supported by appropriate reinsurance and to drive profitable growth through empowered trading teams.
Key responsibilities within the role include
- Provide clear strategic direction for the SME Liability Account (underwriting, pricing, risk acceptance, appetite and risk management) whilst continuing to build on our approach of meeting more every customers needs
- Ensure the broader commercial lines liability strategy reflects the needs of SME customers / market ensuring appropriate alignment with our Global Corporate business
- Portfolio management and optimisation to provide rationale and insights on performance of the Liability Account to deliver planned profit & volume over both short and long term
- Review technical, legal issues & developments and produce proposals to reduce risk and/or exploit opportunities and/or reduce blockages
- Provide strategic direction for the new and emerging risks and opportunities in pricing, risk selection and management of risk
- Review Claims developments and provide insight for account performance and projections
- Ensure Actuarial teams are fully engaged in understanding the liability account, the direction you are driving the business ensuring the valuation projections take full account of the business
- Recommendations for reinsurance purchase both facultative and treaty
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience
- Significant experience working in a Senior liability underwriting role
- Portfolio management and leadership of a diverse Liability underwriting portfolio
- Strong embedded broker and customer relationships – Developing strategic contacts and relationships in a complex environment
- Analysis of data trends to identify growth opportunities and inform future underwriting strategy
- Excellent understanding of the insurance industry with a broad knowledge of external regulators
- Understanding of complex non-standard underwriting arrangements
- Understanding of reinsurance
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Strategic thinking
- Good coach and mentor
What will you get for this role?
- Salary circa £100,000 depending on skills, experience, qualifications & location
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through "My Aviva Extras" plus discounts for Friends and Family. (Some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too, we’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Once you’ve applied, please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Guv a call on 0750 008 7919 or send an email to
- As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role