Location: commutable distance of our factory/office between Cheltenham and Tewkesbury, with regular onsite work at our customer sites and therefore travel (60%).
ALS Mechatronic specialise in the design, build and installation of bespoke control systems, factory automation systems and machinery, vision inspection, plastic container handling and robotics.
We’re looking to appoint an additional mechanical fitter/installer. In this role, you will be bringing our customers’ automation aspirations to life, working across a variety of industry sectors (predominantly in food and beverage and plastic container handling) and working on some truly ground-breaking projects.
Scroll down for a complete overview of what this job will require Are you the right candidate for this opportunity
A lot of what we do is typically bespoke to our customers and to date there’s not been an automation challenge we’ve not been able to support or that we have walked away from.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, tenacious, punctual, and able to manage their own time effectively. You will be self-motivated, able to think/plan for yourself, and be a bit of a problem solver!
Others will describe you as hard working, courteous, having a mature attitude and being a great team player. You will work with an equally friendly and hardworking team of individuals, who are always willing to support one another.
Flexibility, pulling your weight, having your own high standards and a can-do attitude are a must in order to fit in and become an integral part of our team.
Reporting to the workshop manager, you will be required to work both in-house (~40%) and on customers’ sites/travel (~60%), responsible for general mechanical fitting and assembly of automation machinery. ensuring all projects are delivered to the highest possible standards and in a timely fashion.
It is likely you will be deployed week to week to different locations, mainly around the UK and Ireland but you should expect worldwide travel on occasion. It is rare that you will be expected to stay over a weekend but this can happen, especially on overseas projects. When you are not travelling, you will be in our workshop building machinery.
- Bonus skill but not essential – Being capable of installing control panels and making basic electrical wiring adjustments
To be considered for the role, you will
- be able to interpret engineering drawings (mechanical a must, electrical a plus)
- have sound experience of machine assembly
- to build assemblies and sub-assemblies
- to build electrical and pneumatic systems
- using general hand tools and power tools as required
- be hard working and a great ambassador for the company
- be a team player and have a great attitude!
Skills & Experience
- Ideally an apprentice trained and/or qualified Mechanical Fitter/Assembler
- Experienced at reading and interpreting engineering drawings and able to follow written instructions and method statements
- Familiar with working in hygienic environments and health and safety requirements
- Previous experience of working with pneumatic systems and valves
- Experienced at working on medium sized assemblies and sub-assemblies
- Having a high-level understanding of industrial control systems / PLCs is a plus but not essential
- Good eye for detail and able to work on their own and as part of a team
- Self-starter with the maturity to be able to work with minimal supervision but equally, knows when support is needed
- Trustworthy and a great communicator to ensure customers and your team have confidence
- Fluent in English (second language is a plus)
- A ‘can do’ attitude (we’re a small but growing team – we don’t have room for divas!)
- Willingness to travel/work away from home on a regular basis (majority UK, but also abroad) – approx. 60%
- Full UK driving licence (with 3 penalty points or less)
- Passport – with no convictions preventing travel
- Presentable and articulate
- You must be eligible to work in the UK
If this sounds like you, then here’s what’s on offer
- Good rate of pay (depending on experience)
- Potential for overtime during busy periods
- Uniform and PPE
- Opportunity to earn spot bonuses/awards for outstanding contributions
- Contributory Pension Scheme (after probationary period)
- 21 days holiday per annum plus statutory holidays
- Additional holiday for long service
Normal Hours: Monday-Thursday 08.00 to 17.00, Friday 08.00 to 14.00
(Note there may be occasional travel with longer hours)