A Mechanical Architect is required for a long term contract assignment based in Stevenage for a multi-national defence company.
Overview of department:
This role is to gather and manage the missile mechanical architecture requirements to achieve missile performance, on time and on cost and overall layout vs compliance. This involves providing justification of the design and co-ordinate the verification evidence of missile performance to support certification.
Capture and manage missile mechanical architecture requirements to achieve missile performance, on time and on cost.
At Missile level, in conjunction with the Mechanical Design Team, determine the overall product structure, mechanical interfaces and architecture.
Typical responsibilities for the Mechanical Architect include:
* Facilitate Architectural Trades e.g. Overall layout vs compliance to technical requirements to achieve system performance
* Brokering mechanical trades between sub-systems and internal equipment
* Ensure missile architecture supports modularity, re-use, design for assembly
* Co-ordinate the verification evidence of missile performance to support certification of the design
* Manage missile prototype and development hardware on behalf of the CDE
* Support product Design and program Phase Gate reviews
* Manage technical changes, Non-Conformance and Non-Compliance issues
* Control assigned budgets and identify any further resource needs
* Interface with, and manage, customer expectations throughout the development process
You will typically be working for the Project CDE and interact with a broad range of other Functions, but have a high degree of autonomy and represent the Project / Function in meetings.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
Ideally educated to degree level (or equivalent) with significant experience of mechanical engineering and stakeholder management
* Chartered, or with a plan to become chartered
* Ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines
* Strong leadership skills, able to establish a clear engineering vision
* Good knowledge and experience of mechanical & electro-mechanical design, including:
* Design for Environment, Cost, Manufacture
* Thermal Management
* Vibration, Shock, Fatigue
* Six Sigma & Lean Design
* Critical Parameter Management
* Systems Engineering V-model
* Failure Mode & Effects Analysis
* Test Design eg Design of Experiments
* Ability and experience to work, with influence, across all levels of the business
* Ability and experience to form and lead collaborative teams
* Experience of working with the CADMID Life Cycle
* Willingness to travel within UK and Europe when appropriate
Modis International Ltd acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers in the UK. Modis Europe Ltd provide a variety of international solutions that connect clients to the best talent in the world. For all positions based in Switzerland, Modis Europe Ltd works with its licensed Swiss partner Accurity GmbH to ensure that candidate applications are handled in accordance with Swiss law.
Both Modis International Ltd and Modis Europe Ltd are Equal Opportunities Employers.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Modis International Ltd and/ or Modis Europe Ltd. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement which explains how we will use your information is available on the Modis websiteApply now