Lead Tools Programmer
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences.
Is your CV ready If so, and you are confident this is the role for you, make sure to apply asap.
Their dedication and talent has brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
*About the role:
*Lead an engineering team within a collaborative multidiscipline environment with a focus on the three pillars of Leadership at Ubisoft: Care about People, Drive Performance and Development and Lead in Complexity.
** Build an effective team to ensure it is fully resourced, a manageable size and a good mix of levels and foster the team player culture;
* Plan, prioritise and set inspiring objectives for your team members all year long;
* Empower your team members with clear expectations and hold them accountable for their key results;
* Provide your team members with ongoing and meaningful feedback on performance and development — ensuring positive acknowledgement of all achievements, both big and small;
* Enable your team members to reflect and prepare their future in their role and at Ubisoft;
* Engage and positively influence team members and stakeholders around a vision;
* Navigate through ambiguity and embrace change with a positive mindset;
* Create the environment for initiatives and ideas to emerge and grow;
* Care about people: be exemplary and supportive;
* Communicate with impact and promote an open dialogue within your team.
** Work with production, engineers, design and art team leads to create task estimates and schedules for the engineering team and track development efforts across the team;
* Ensure your team participates in standard studio development processes;
* Liaise with internal and external middleware technology providers, and console manufacturers;
* Balance active code development with the management requirements and responsibilities of a discipline lead;
* Ensure the delivery of practical and timely solutions by the engineering team that meets the game design and technical requirements;
* Ensure code is modular, self-contained, and defensive and observes the technical constraints on the system by leading regular technical design and code reviews;
* Define good programming practices and coding standards, and ensure they are enforced within the engineering team through regular peer code reviews;
* Ensure the creation of technical documentation for the engineering team as well as other disciplines, and assist in the creation of submission materials as required;
* Continually review the game and development processes to identify potential improvements;
* Be an advocate and ambassador for technology sharing across projects;
* Supporting the line manager in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
*Skills and Knowledge:
** Knowledge of common online systems;
* Ability to debug networked/asynchronous systems;
* Very good C/C++ programming skills, with very good knowledge of object oriented development including design patterns and UML;
* Experience working with a large game codebase, and it’s modules, middleware and associated pipeline;
* Understanding of speed and memory considerations, and able to implement basic optimisations;
* Knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and patterns, and their application;
* Ability to analyse unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand, extend and refactor an existing module;
* Ability to debug defects of a reasonable complexity, including memory related issues, and multi-threading;
* Knowledge of different software development methods such as Test Driven Development, Unit Testing, Agile etc.;
* Understanding the constraints and technical requirements for console platform development within their area is a plus;
* Ability to adapt to change;
* Good interpersonal and communication skills.
** Bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering or equivalent experience;
* 3 years commercial software development experience with significant involvement in 1 published game in a relevant programming capacity is a plus;
* Experience working with at least one modern console platform is an advantage;
* Experience with profiling tools is desirable;
* Experience working in a multi-site collaboration environment is a plus.-
* Flexible working
* 22 days annual leave + Christmas shutdown
* Private healthcare (with option to add immediate family)
* Life insurance & income protection
* Workplace pension scheme
* Paid volunteering days
* Annual fitness & well-being allowance
* Technology & merchandise
* Subsidised travel
* Telephone call
* First Stage Interview (video)
* Final Stage Interview (video)
* Offer!C, C++, Game Design, Game DevelopmentC, C++