In-direct Tax Accountant
We are a speciality chemical company and one of the world’s foremost suppliers of water-based polymers with leadership positions in many markets. Our polymers help customers create innovative new products and enhance the performance of existing products in key industries such as coatings, construction, adhesives, paper and nitrile medical gloves. The acquisition of the highly complementary OMNOVA Solutions Inc in April 2020 has extended the group’s geographic reach, expanded the global platform and will accelerate the further differentiation of the business.
We have operational headquarters in London, UK, and provide customer-focused services from regional centres in Harlow, UK; Marl, Germany; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; and Beachwood, Ohio, USA.
About the Team
The Synthomer European Finance shared service team is based at our site in Harlow, Essex. We are a growing team of around 60 people covering the following processes – Accounts Payable, Treasury & Banking, Credit & collections, Indirect tax, Payroll and Financial/Management Accounting. We are operating a Hybrid working pattern, 3 days in the office/2 days WFH
About the role
This role is part of a group of 5 reporting to the VAT Compliance Manager for Europe. The main responsibility of this role is to ensure VAT compliance obligations in the EU are met timely and accurately. There is the opportunity to gain significant exposure to European indirect tax matters.
* Assist in the preparation of all EU VAT returns, ECSL and Intrastat reports
* Review previous transactions for any known VAT issues, and assist in the resolution of any identified issues;
* Assist in the monthly performance of VAT balance sheet reconciliations;
* Assist with all required VAT and other return enquiries from tax authorities as required;
* Provide technical and testing support for systems changes which impact VAT and related reporting;
* Assist in all tax related enquiries, and, where necessary, liaise with other relevant parties;
* Partner with Finance colleagues in continuous improvement efforts in VAT corrections and transaction processes, ensuring continued compliance with VAT requirements;
* Contribute to the Finance Transformation programme working with other Finance team members and the wider Business Team to deliver the vision for Group Finance.
Skills and Knowledge:
* Proven competency in VAT accounting and reporting requirements;
* Ability to apply knowledge of indirect tax principles to operational systems, processes and policies;
* Ability to build relationships with stakeholders and to manage multiple priorities at the same time;
* Solid understanding of basic finance and accounting principles;
* Information systems experience, such as SAP, and proficient in applications such as Excel, Word, and Outlook.
* Annual company bonus
* Hybrid working patterned
* On-site parking
* Medical insurance offering
* Subsidised canteen
* Good company pension plan
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
* Cycle to work scheme
* Discounted or free food
* On-site parking
* Private medical insurance
* Monday to Friday, 3 days in office per week – hybrid workingApply now