Commercial & Corporate Counsel (Full time/Part time)
Aviva UK now have a vacancy for a Senior Counsel reporting in to our Head of Legal, Commercial & Outsourcing.
Is your CV ready If so, and you are confident this is the role for you, make sure to apply asap.
This role is a high-profile position delivering legal advice, managing service delivery and diverse client relationships potentially across all of Aviva’s regions. The role-holder will be involved in providing first class legal services to the Aviva Group and working with the team on a spectrum of B2B commercial contract (with a particular focus on data licensing and marketing). We see this as an involved, direct role in multiple areas we are focusing on with passion and ambition, while contributing to innovation within Aviva.
Aviva introduced "smart-working" in 2020, and the person in this role can be based anywhere in the UK, as long as they are comfortable regularly travelling to one of our UK offices weekly.
The role’s duties & responsibilities
- Supporting the Commercial & Outsourcing team with legal service and advice on transactions, regulatory issues – an emphasis on commercial/contracts, marketing, data licensing & intellectual property
- Building professional and collaborative relationships with external lawyers and other professional advisers
- Obtaining maximum value and quality from use of external suppliers where appropriate
- Actively engaged in cross-functional sharing of resource, expertise, and know-how
- Effective legal risk management and appropriate escalation
Skills & experiences required
- A qualified lawyer with a proven ability of drafting & negotiating B2B commercial contracts in the financial services’ regulatory environment
- Track record of managing a significant and varied workload with minimal direction and high client satisfaction
- History of managing the instruction of external lawyers, with a view to effectively manage both quality and cost
- Technical knowledge of areas of law including, but not limited to, data protection and intellectual property rights
- Background of trouble shooting and problem solving in a creative and innovative manner
What will you get for this role?
- A salary starting from £50,000 depending on location, skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through "My Aviva Extras" plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too, we’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Once you’ve applied, please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Daniel Hopchet a call on 0121 234 7625 or send an email to .
- As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role