Renting student accommodation in the UK

Renting private student accommodation in the UK

Comments0 comments

If you want to rent student accommodation in the UK, make sure you read the tenancy agreement and check if your property has the appropriate rental licencing.

If you’re renting in the UK from a private landlord or letting agent, find out whether your property needs to be licenced. Before you rent student accommodation in the UK, make sure you read any tenancy agreement carefully and if you’re not happy, seek advice immediately.

Renting UK property on your own

If you’re planning to move out of the student campus in your second year, you’ll probably need to start looking for private accommodation in the spring term of your first year.

Remember that as a student, you have the same rights as any other private tenant.

Does your landlord need a licence?

If you live with friends, check with your local authority to see if your landlord needs to get a ‘House in Multiple Occupation’ (HMO) licence for your property.

Your house must be specially licensed as a ‘House in Multiple Occupation’ if it has:

  •  five or more unrelated people sharing; and
  •  three or more storeys.


Some local authorities may also choose to license houses with smaller numbers of occupants or storeys.

This licence requires landlords to be capable managers, and to ensure the house is occupied by a limited number of people.

Tenancy deposits and guarantors

Once you’ve found a suitable place to rent, most landlords and letting agents will need you to pay a deposit, and may also ask for a guarantor before they draw up a contract. They may also ask you to pay rent in advance.

Don't hand over any money until you've had a good look around the property: check for obvious signs of disrepair, damp, badly fitting doors or windows, or anything that could compromise your security.

It might also help to take someone else with you to get their views on the property.

Paying a deposit

Landlords often ask for a deposit to cover missing rent or damage made to the property. Always get a written receipt for money paid to a landlord or letting agent.

Ask your landlord if they will provide an inventory of the contents of the house, including kitchen goods such as a kettle and toaster.

Your deposit should be returned to you if all fees have been settled and the property has not been damaged beyond normal wear and tear. If you feel that it's being withheld unfairly, you can seek professional advice for tips on getting your deposit back.


Your landlord may ask students to provide a guarantor who agrees to cover costs if you don’t pay the rent, or cause significant damage to the property. A guarantor will usually be a parent or guardian.

If you have a joint tenancy, any guarantor will also be jointly liable for overdue rent or damage caused by the other tenants.

Guarantors can try and limit their liability by writing it into their guarantor agreement – to do this, seek independent legal advice.

Tenancy agreements

Tenancy agreements help to protect your rights as a tenant and outline what your obligations will be.

Whatever your type of tenancy, read any paperwork involved carefully before you agree to move in or sign any written agreements.

Your responsibilities

Whatever type of agreement you sign, you will be required to look after your property in a reasonable way - for example, emptying bins and keeping the house tidy and clean. See 'Renting from a private landlord in the UK'.


directgov / Expatica

Expatica Ask the Expert

Find accommodation in the UK using Expatica's housing search.


Expatica Ask the Expert
Need advice? Post your question on Expatica's free Ask the Expert service to see if we can help.


Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

0 Comments To This Article