Thank you for your interest in our "Ask the Expert" tool. We currently do not have an active expert in this category.
We are looking for new experts, so do come back to check later. In the meantime, please feel free to browse through the below answers, as your question may already have been answered.

Latest question answered:

Asma Bashir
Asma Bashir

Hi Asma,

Some background info first:

I am a Dutch national expat living in Indonesia for the past 7 years, together with my wife with whom I've been married to since jan. 2016 (together for 7 years). I want to travel with my wife to the UK as I may have a job opportunity in the UK. I'd like to travel at the same date with her.

My wife is pregnant (3 months) and I like to move to the UK before she gives birth early December.

My question: what is the best way to do this?

• Do I first need to sign the contract and fly together with my wife to the UK on a Family card?
• Can I go together with my wife if she has a tourist visa and then apply for the Family card?
• And of course, a priority question: can she get maternity care (also possible caesar) to avoid extreme costs for getting the baby?
• Would she be able to get a job - if so, what are the visa requirements?

Depending on the best possible routes, I can continue and pursuit this job. Our plan is to stay indefinitely in the UK as I would work there. I just would like to go together, rather than individually.

The UK gov website does give certain information like applying for the EEA Family card whilst we are both abroad ( ), but not sure what my requirements are as I have not (been) 3 months in the UK. Would a contract with a job and place of stay prior to flying to the UK be sufficient to apply for this card?

Much appreciated if you can help me out!


by Jurryt Visser on 31 May 2017 Read Answer
Asma Bashir
Asma Bashir

Hello Asma,

I am from the Philippines, married to a British with a minor British child. We all live together in Dubai, UAE where my husband is currently working for the past 9 years. We plan to settle in the UK as his job is ending this August. He has a job offer to work in UK starting in September this year.

What is the correct application form for me to use to settle in the UK? I couldn't find anything in the Immigration rules website which says 'married to a non-resident British citizen" and applying to settle as family or spouse.

I currently have a UK tourist visa which I use to enter UK whenever we visit. Do I need to cancel my existing tourist visa before applying for a spouse visa?

We have our own house in the UK and visits at least 3 times a year. We have been married for 5 years. Will this entitle me for an application to limited leave to remain or i need to start from the entry clearance level?

Thank you very much. Your advise will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

by Catalina on 09 May 2017 Read Answer
Asma Bashir
Asma Bashir


I'm an American citizen with a US Passport looking to join my UK family and eventually become a citizen there. I have many family members over there including sisters and brothers of my Grandfather. I've been looking at these separate applications:

I was wondering if joining my family in the UK through a visa to stay and work in the UK could be a possibility and how I could begin the process? Thanks in advance.



by Justin on 24 Mar 2017 Read Answer
Asma Bashir
Asma Bashir

I am a Bangladeshi citizen and have a Bangladeshi Passport. Can I apply for a Portuguese Residence permit? If so how is the process and time also money requirement? Thanks, Mohammad

by Mohammad Nurul Islam on 19 Mar 2017 Read Answer
Asma Bashir
Asma Bashir

Hi, I am a British citizen who lives in the UK. I have a child who is 8 months old. He has two nationalities, British and French because his father is from Paris and he has French nationality. He lives in Paris but he comes every week to visit us and see his child. Following Brexit does he need to apply for a visa to come to visit his child in the UK? We are not married.
Thanks, Imen

by Imen on 27 Feb 2017 Read Answer
Asma Bashir
Asma Bashir

Hi, just wanted to confirm that my husband and I can apply for permanent residency separately as each of us is fully qualified living and working in the UK for more than 8 years. We are originally from Slovakia (EEA). Do we need to mention somewhere in the application our daughter who was born in the UK and has British passport? Also just to confirm that we can ignore the sponsor section as we are both qualified.
Many thanks

by Silvia Kraj on 16 Dec 2016 Read Answer
Andrew Dekany
Andrew Dekany

Spouse Visa question 6.17- have you ever received medical treatment in the UK? Summer of 2016 I saw a GP to get a US prescription refill. The GP wrote a local prescription so I could refill it at a local pharmacy. I had US insurance at the time and was not asked for an insurance card at the time of treatment. I did indicate I was an American visitor. The same for my prescription, I indicated I was an American visitor and was charged 8.40 pounds. As an American visitor was the GP visit free and the prescription should have been 100% of the drug cost since I had US health insurance (otherwise 150%) ? I am looking to pay the prescription full price and submit a receipt with my application. Should I also submit with application proof of of my US health insurance to support the 100% cost and not the 150% cost?

by Nic Wine on 05 Dec 2016 Read Answer
Andrew Dekany
Andrew Dekany

Hi, I am an Australian Citizen and my Husband is a British Citizen through his parents. He never lived in the UK. I have a job offer and I would like to find out if I would qualify to apply for settlement or permanent residency in uk and satisfy the financial requirement. We have been married for 26 years, we have two kids under 18, my salary for the new job is 44500 British pound for six months. Thank you so much in advance. Rita

by Rita on 25 Nov 2016 Read Answer
Andrew Dekany
Andrew Dekany

Hi, I'm made an application for and EEA Permanent residence card for both my parents. My husband and I are both Dutch nationals living and working in the UK. We have been exercising our treaty rights, when they arrived, they initially lived with us for about 3 years but as our family expanded we left them in our rental home and bought a home of our own. Shortly after buying our home, we went into financial difficulties and my parents started working to sustain themselves more. I continued to pay for their rent ( that was all I could afford to pay for) but other expenses such as life insurance, car payments and car insurance, utilities were taken care of by themselves. Their application was refused on the basis that they were both earning enough jointly to take care of themselves and that they weren't living under one roof with me. This happened over 4 months ago, now they want to continue working and appeal this decision, I don't know if they have any grounds to stand on to justify their reasons for working. I have read through the requirements and it seems they were never meant to be working being that they were my dependants and the fact that we live under two separate roofs make it even worse. They were given the right to work in their passport, also when providing them with their initials 5 years, we didn't go through any process of showing they were depending on us, all we showed is that they were part of our household. I don't understand how they can just take everything back after 5 years and expect my parents to just leave after building a life here with us and our children. Was wondering if you had any suggestions and if you have ever come across a case such as this one in the past or present?

by Stella on 20 Nov 2016 Read Answer
Andrew Dekany
Andrew Dekany

Hi Andrew.

I'm a UK citizen and resident.

I have been in a relationship with a Philippino lady for 6 months. She is currently staying with me in the UK on a visitor's visa which expires in January. We recently got engaged, and are planning to get married in the first half of next year.

I need to deal with the visa arrangements.

One option would be for her to leave in January, and apply to come back again to "join" her "family member" (me). But I would like to avoid that, because it would be costly and difficult generally.

My preferred approach would be for us to apply for her to "remain" with "family member" (i.e. me) with a view to getting married within 6 months, using form FLR(M). That way she wouldn't have to leave at all, and we could just get on with things.

The only thing that troubles me is the HMG website, which says that FLR(M) should be used if already married or if cohabiting for two years - we have not been cohabiting for two years. But that limitation isn't mentioned in the form itself or the official guidance notes, and seems rather random.

Are we able to use FLR(M) in our situation? The other requirements should not be a problem.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Kind regards,


by Alex on 19 Nov 2016 Read Answer

Expatica Offers