Prosecution case nears end in Karadzic trial

, Comments 0 comments

Prosecutors in the trial of ex-Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic are expected to wrap up their case in the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal by the end of April, a representative said Wednesday.

"The prosecution's case in the Karadzic trial should be finished at the end of April," Aleksandar Kontic told journalists at a press conference at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague.

Once the most powerful leader among Bosnian Serbs, Karadzic, 66, faces 11 counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes for his role in the Bosnia conflict which left some 100,000 people dead and 2.2 million homeless.

He is particularly wanted for masterminding the killings that followed the Serbs' capture of the eastern Bosnian enclave of Srebrenica in July 1995.

More than 7,000 Muslim men and boys were murdered over the course of a few days in Europe's worst wartime attrocity since Nazi rule.

Karadzic was arrested on a Belgrade bus in July 2008, 13 years after he was first indicted by the ICTY for his part in the conflict.

His trial opened in October 2009, but has been hit by several delays since. The prosecution started presenting evidence on April 13, 2010.

So far, 179 witnesses have testified for the prosecution and there has been one chamber witness called by the court, the ICTY said.

Karadzic has pleaded not guilty to the charges. If convicted he could face life behind bars.


© 2012 AFP

0 Comments To This Article