New medical tests ordered for Serb war crimes suspect

, Comments 0 comments

The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) said Monday it had ordered new medical tests for Serb ultra-nationalist leader Vojislav Seslj following a hospitalisation.

Judges at the court have asked a committee of three doctors to provide a report on the compatibility of Seselj's detention and his state of health, according to a statement.

Seselj's party said Sunday that he underwent heart surgery last week.

Despite the surgery, "Seselj does not feel better and did not register any improvement" of his health condition, Serbia's Radical Party said in a statement released in Belgrade.

The ICTY on Friday postponed closing arguments in Seselj's war crimes trial set for Monday and Tuesday, saying that the 57-year-old had been transferred to a civilian medical facility, without elaborating.

He has been hospitalised at least five times since January, when he was fitted with a Pacemaker that later malfunctioned.

Seselj's trial for offences committed in the wars during the break-up of Yugoslavia opened before the ICTY in 2006.

Known for his angry outbursts in court, Seselj is accused of murder, torture, cruel treatment and wanton destruction of villages during the persecution of Croats, Muslims and other non-Serbs during the 1990s Balkan wars.

Earlier this month, the ICTY prosecutors asked for a 28-year sentence against Seselj.


© 2012 AFP

0 Comments To This Article