Bosnian Serb general's genocide trial to close in August

, Comments 0 comments

Closing arguments in the genocide trial of a Bosnian Serb ex-general, who commanded Ratko Mladic's army in the Bosnian war, will be heard in August, the Yugoslav war crimes court said Tuesday.

Zdravko Tolimir, 63, is accused before The Hague-based tribunal of involvement in the murder of Muslims including more than 7,000 men and boys at Srebrenica in July 1995, the worst wartime atrocity in Europe since the Nazis.

"The prosecution shall present its closing arguments on Tuesday, 21 August," while the defence will do so on Wednesday, 22 August, the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) said in a statement.

Tolimir, arrested on May 31, 2007 in Bosnia-Hercegovina, has been charged with committing genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity between July and November 1995. He was responsible for the Bosnian Serb army's intelligence at the time.

Tolimir, who has pleaded not guilty to all charges, was one of seven deputy commanders to Mladic, the wartime Bosnian Serb army chief, who himself was arrested in northeastern Serbia last year and is awaiting trial in The Hague.


© 2012 AFP

0 Comments To This Article