2010: highest energy consumption

, Comments 0 comments

Energy consumption in the Netherlands reached an all time high in 2010.

The Dutch statistics office reports that power consumption was seven percent higher last year compared to 2009.

The main factors behind the record year were the recovery of industrial activity following the financial crisis and the cold winter weather both at the start and the end of 2010. Natural gas covered 75 percent of the increase in power consumption; oil covered the remaining 25 percent. Other sources of energy made a negligible contribution to the increase.

Consumption of natural gas increased by 12 percent in 2010 compared to the year before, mainly due to the fact that January, February, November and December in 2010 were much colder than in the previous year. Most Dutch homes are heated with natural gas.



© Radio Netherlands Worldwide

0 Comments To This Article