Tax for Canadian expats living abroad

Tax basics for Canadian expats

Comments9 comments

Canadians are taxed on worldwide income; two Canadian tax experts advise on how Canucks abroad can avoid paying more tax than they need to.

As Canadians are taxed on worldwide income, it's important to plan ahead to avoid paying more than you should. Determining what the tax consequences are of moving to another country, either permanently or temporarily, requires some foresight.

Since Canadian residents are taxed on worldwide income; maintaining residency in Canada will require you to file a Canadian tax return on an annual basis, including in that tax return income from all sources, both Canadian and foreign. You may also be required to file a tax return in the country you are going to live in.

If you sever your Canadian residency for tax purposes, a final "departure tax return" should be filed in Canada.

Lower tax

Since many other countries around the world have lower individual income tax rates than Canada, you may want to sever your residency in order to be in a situation where you will no longer be taxed on your worldwide income in Canada.

It is important that before you make that decision, you first determine if you are even in a position to be able to sever residency and whether it makes sense in your situation. Tax residency does not affect your citizenship or legal residency status. It is specific to tax.

Determining if you are a resident of Canada for tax purposes depends on your intention at the time you leave Canada. You must ask yourself if you plan to return to Canada in the "foreseeable" future. If your plans are not to return to Canada, you may be in a position to sever your residency with Canada if you support your intention to remain abroad by severing your residential ties with Canada.

There is no specific time period after which you will be seen to be a non-resident of Canada, so it is important that the steps you take to prove your intention to be a non-resident are followed carefully.

Essential tax guide for Canadian expats abroad

Residential ties with Canada

Residential ties with Canada typically are seen as primary or secondary. It is important that you sever all primary residential ties when ceasing residency. Maintaining any significant primary ties could be looked at by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as causing your residency to be maintained in Canada.

Secondary residential ties are looked at collectively by the CRA. No one secondary tie would likely be seen as causing you to be viewed as maintaining Canadian residency. However, efforts should be made to sever all ties to Canada.

Some common examples of primary ties are maintaining a residence(s) in Canada available for your use, leaving a spouse or common-law partner in Canada and supporting dependents in Canada.

Some common secondary ties are personal property left behind in Canada, maintaining Canadian bank accounts, Canadian credit cards, and professional and/or club memberships in Canadian organizations.

In addition to the above, it is important that you inform any Canadian residents making payments to you, such as financial institutions that you have investments with that you intend to be a nonresident of Canada.

Not only does this show the CRA your intention to be a non-resident, but it also ensures that payments made to you after your departure are subject to the appropriate nonresident withholding taxes. If these non-resident withholding taxes are not withheld by the Canadian payer, you will be required to voluntarily remit the withholding tax after you have left Canada.


If your residency status is questioned by the CRA, they may ask you to submit a form NR73 - Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada). It is advisable that you fill in this form at the time of your departure and keep a copy for your records, in case it is requested.

It is not advisable that you submit this form to the CRA unless you and your tax advisor have difficulty determining your residency status.

Essential tax guide for Canadian expats abroad

Departure tax

If you become a non-resident of Canada for tax purposes, you must file a final departure tax return in Canada, due 30 April after the year in which you sever your residential ties with Canada. There are various tax implications that could arise in this final return. The most common example is the deemed disposition of certain assets, based on fair market value, you own.

The pro-ration of personal tax credits for your period of residency is another example of many. Apart from the departure tax return itself, rental properties owned by non-residents have specific filing requirements in Canada on an annual basis.

This is just a sample of some of the issues that should be considered on your departure from Canada. It is important that you seek professional advice to ensure that all of your departure tax issues are taken into consideration in your final tax return.

Maintaining Canadian residency

If you decide to maintain your residency with Canada, or your significant ties to Canada cause you to be seen as a resident, keep in mind that you will still have to file a Canadian tax return on an annual basis reporting your worldwide income, even if this income was earned in another country.

In most cases, you will be allowed a foreign tax credit for any foreign taxes already paid on this income but it does not prevent you from meeting your tax filing requirements in Canada.

If you do not file your tax return, you may receive a request at some point from the CRA requesting that you do file.

Since the tax implications will vary based on an individual's specific circumstances, professional tax advice should be sought before acting on any information provided in this article.

Ernie and Wayne / Expatica

Ernie and Wayne are Canadian Chartered Accountants and Tax Advisors. Their firm focuses on international tax for Canadians around the world. For further information on their firm and the services they provide, visit

Expatica Ask the Expert
Need advice? Post your question on Expatica's free Ask the Expert service to see if we can help



Expat Fair Amsterdam

Whether you’ve lived here for days, months or years, you won’t regret attending the Expat Fair for Internationals. Sunday 8 October 2017, Amsterdam.

Get your FREE tickets and discover more about expat life in the Netherlands.


Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

9 Comments To This Article

  • Chris posted:

    on 31st July 2016, 14:13:12 - Reply

    Where are the 'tax basics' in this article. All I see is residency advice. Waste of time reading this.
  • ANN posted:

    on 19th September 2014, 22:35:05 - Reply

    I am Mrs ANDERSON ANN from USA, i want to share a testimony of my life to every one. i was married to my husband Barry Morgan, i love him so much we have been married for 5 years now with two kids. when he went for a vacation to France he meant a lady called Clara who en charm him with his beauty, he told me that he is no longer interested in the marriage any more. i was so confuse and seeking for help, i don't know what to do until I met my friend Miss Rose and told her about my problem. she told me not to worry about it that she had a similar problem before and introduce me to a man called Dr Iyayi. who cast a spell on her ex and bring him back to her after 3days. Miss Rose ask me to contact Dr Iyayi. I contacted him to help me bring back my husband and he ask me not to worry about it that the gods of his fore-fathers will fight for me. He told me by three days he will re-unite me and my husband together. After three day my husband called and told me he is coming back to sought out things with me, I was surprise when I saw him and he started crying for forgiveness and that he never knew what came upon him that he will never leave me again or the was the spell that was casted on him that was working on him. Right now I am the happiest woman on earth for what this great spell caster did for me and my husband, you can contact Dr.Iyayi on any problem in this world, he is very nice, here is his contact or contact him through his website address: You can also contact him through his mobile: 2347032617285.
    You can also view my testimony on my blogger site: .He is the best spell caster.
  • Kenny Malcolm posted:

    on 18th September 2014, 10:03:58 - Reply

    My name is Mrs Adriana Rizzo i am from Italy, married, i have been searching for a genuine loan company for the past 3 months and all i got was bunch of scams who made me to trust them and at the end of the day, they took my money without giving anything in return, all my hope was lost, i got confused and frustrated, elenaboragginib.eb i find it very difficult to feed my family, i never wanted to have anything to do with loan companies on net, so went to borrow some money from a friend, i told him all that happened and he said he can help me, that he knows a loan company that can help me, that he just got a loan from them, he directed me on how to apply for the loan, i did as he told me, i applied, i never believed but i tried and to my greatest surprise i got the loan within 24 hours, i could not believe, i am happy and rich again and i am thanking God that such loan companies like this still exist upon this scams all over the places, please i advise everyone out there who are in need of loan to go for { } they will never fail, your life shall change as mine did.
  • Anita posted:

    on 17th September 2014, 14:51:52 - Reply

    Good Day
    I am Mr (Robert) from United state of America, i
    stayed in Alabama, and i have a broke up business,
    until i found this company email who help me to
    gain a loan for business, and now i want to used this
    short medium to congratulate the above company
    for the fast and safe money they loan to me without
    any form of collateral, i loan 500,000USD from the
    company to save my business and lots more, i saw
    their mail on the internet, everyone always give
    testimony for what they did, so i quickly contacted
    them and they all did everything for me without
    stress and my money was sent to my account 24hrs
    later, i was surprise and feel glad, now i now have a
    standard business control agent who help me, now i
    will advice those who need urgent loan to contact
    her at She is a
    very God woman and I know that She will help you
    Below is She loan encouraging words. For loan
    Are you financially down and need loan?
    Do you need loan to pay off credits and debts?
    Do you need finance to set up your own business?
    Do you need loans to carry out large projects?
    Do you need college loan?
    Do you need funding for various other processes?
    email contact:
  • GRANT posted:

    on 19th April 2014, 17:58:00 - Reply

    Looking for a business loan, personal loans,
    mortgages, car credit, student loans, debt consolidation
    loans, unsecured loans, risk
    capital, etc. .. Or you denied a loan by a bank or any
    financial institution of one or more reasons.You are in
    place to
    loan solutions! I am a private lender, I give loans to
    companies and individuals to a low interest rate and
    2%. Interest.

    contact me via e-mail


    Your names ______________
    Your country _______________
    Your address _____________
    Your occupation ____________
    Your marital stat us ______
    Current Status at place of work _
    Home Phone number ________________
    MobilePhone Number ______________
    Monthly Income ___________________
    Weekly Income ____________________
    Loan Amount _____________________
    Loan Duration __________________
  • Mae posted:

    on 11th March 2014, 17:23:18 - Reply

    My daughter moved to the U.K. June 2013 to live
  • Samantha posted:

    on 10th March 2014, 10:31:21 - Reply

    My husband is Canadian but non-resident, living and making money abroad. We want to know if we should pay tax on money that is moved to Canada to be put in an investment account.
    Many Thanks,
  • Peter Vermeulen posted:

    on 28th June 2012, 13:57:19 - Reply

    My wife and I are canadian. After 20 years in the Netherlands we are moving back to Canada. I will continue to receive income from the Netherlands. There is a tax treaty between the two countries. In order for the Dutch tax authorities not to first subtract income tax I need a declaration from the CRA that I am taxable in Canada. Filing a NR74 I am told will take 6-12 months before I receive the declaration. I would think Canada would be happy to have me pay tax in Canada. [Edited by moderator. Please post (elaborate) questions on Ask the Expert or on our Forums. If you have questions for the Expatica staff, please contact us directly.]
  • julie posted:

    on 15th May 2012, 17:51:41 - Reply

    That was a very clear and helpful. Thank you.