Thank you for your interest in our "Ask the Expert" tool. We currently do not have an active expert in this category.
We are looking for new experts, so do come back to check later. In the meantime, please feel free to browse through the below answers, as your question may already have been answered.

Latest question answered:

Jan-Hein van Leeuwen
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen

Hi Jan,

I am from Australia and I have been living in The Netherlands since February 2017, on a working holiday visa. I have since applied for, and have received my partner visa as well which I am now on. I will be returning to Australia this year with my partner.

My income during this time has been from a website (blog) that I run (I am one of those digital nomads). All of the revenue generated from the blog goes into my Australian bank account. Who do I pay my tax to and make tax deductions for purchases to? Australia or The Netherlands?

I would really appreciate any help on this matter!


by Benjamin Strick on 30 May 2018 Read Answer
Bart van der Veeken
Bart van der Veeken

Dear Bart!
As I will move in late summer to the Netherlands, it's fully clear how it will work with the taxes for me.
These are the figures:
I'm an Austrian citizen, never lived in the Netherlands.
I will permanently move to NL but keep my Austrian employee. I will work in a home office and do the work remotely, the payment will still be done by the Austrian company. The company has no office or similar in NL - my job can be done anywhere is not at all related to NL.
Do I have to pay my taxes in Austria or in the Netherlands?
Thx for your help, kind regards!

by Boris on 29 May 2018 Read Answer
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen

Hello! I wonder if you can help me with taxes I owe. I left the Netherlands in 2011 after my contract with the UMC Utrecht was suddenly cut to 30%. I left February 2011 and never thought back until now. My son, we both are US citizens, decided to settle in Rotterdam and I got a great job offer there too. But when I checked my status with Dutch Tax I found out I have more than E 10K in taxes from that miserable 2011. I would like to contest it and arrive at some much lesser sum that I can pay in instalments. Would you be able to assist me in this? Thank you so much. stella

by stella de bode on 23 May 2018 Read Answer
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen

Dear Jan-Hein,

I am co-insured on an Investment Insurance (Beleggingsverzekering) that we were compelled to get when buying a house. Now that we are selling the house I understand the equity built up (€28,000) can be paid out to the "the boss" of the policy. Oddly that is my ex-partner and not me but that is another story.

If my ex-partner does the right thing and gives me half of the proceeds when cashing it in, is this taxable income? Should I have been claiming the policy as an asset on my taxes all along, over the last 14 year?

met vriendelijke groet,

by L Wills on 23 May 2018 Read Answer
Frank de Bats
Frank de Bats

Dear Frank,
I want to clarify if I can apply 30% ruling. I studied Masters in Germany and moved to the Netherlands for the job. I started my work at ASML in April 2018. I have been recruited from abroad but the distance between the German address and Dutch border is less than 150 km. Can you please let me if I am applicable for 30% or not? If yes, how can I apply? Thanks a lot


by Dinesh on 18 May 2018 Read Answer
Bart van der Veeken
Bart van der Veeken

Hi Bart

I'm an Asian and working towards getting a MVV soon. May I know if there is any tax on my savings in Singapore and Malaysia after I have gotten my MVV or even after I get a permanent residence 5 years later? Also, are pension, properties and life insurances purchase in my home country before I moved to Netherlands also taxable under Netherlands tax law?


by Denise on 02 May 2018 Read Answer
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen

I am applying for the 30% tax. How can I prove that I was living more than 150km away.
Kind regards Maxwell

by Maxwell Kendall on 24 Apr 2018 Read Answer
Bart van der Veeken
Bart van der Veeken

Hello! I have a question.

I was trying to fill in the tax form for the any income I got through 2017 and not sure what happened but apparently I clicked something wrong and submitted the one for income during 2018. Since this is a year that hasn't been completed yet is that form going to be disregarded? Will I have the chance to submit it again next year when it's the right time to submit it?

Thank you!

by Valia on 23 Apr 2018 Read Answer
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen

Hi Jan-Hein,

Hope you're well.

I am a UK citizen moving to Amsterdam for work and am 29 years old.
I have been offered a salary of €45k per year (this includes holiday allowance)

Please can you advise whether a) I will be able to claim the 30% tax ruling (I do not have a masters) and b) whether I will need to pay social security tax?

Thanks very much!

by Robyn Driver on 20 Apr 2018 Read Answer
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen
Jan-Hein van Leeuwen

Dear Jan-Hein,

I have a question which I hope you will be able to help me with. I'm a non-EU citizen married to Dutch citizen, about to move to NL. There is a job offer, and I need advice before taking it. It's a company based in Switzerland and work will be home-based (from NL) involving solely Online work, no travelling. The contract says that I'm obliged to work 40 hours a week, and company obliges to pay me within 10 working days of each month based on hours on the Invoice. The contract also says I'm responsible for covering my social insurance and taxes myself, they pretty much are not responsible. If I calculate my yearly income, it will be in category EUR 20,000-40,000. How much in income tax and social security payment will I pay? I read from Expatica that social security payments for freelancers are not mandatory, so I can choose how much to pay and also choose a private fund to pay for retirement, maternity leave, etc., did I understand correctly?

Hope you will be able to help out, as my situation is quite specific, I think.


by Aylin on 29 Mar 2018 Read Answer

Expatica Offers