Special needs in Switzerland

A guide to special needs services in the Netherlands

Comments3 comments

A wide array of organisations assists people with special needs in the Netherlands, from transport to education to holidays.

The Netherlands has legislation protecting the rights of people with a physical, mental, emotional, or sensory impairment that ensures equal access to social, economic and transport systems and encourages full participation in society. In typical Dutch fashion, multiple ministries and organisations coordinate policy. Your doctor, city hall or one of the major advice centres (ANGO, Ieder(in) or MEE) can point you in the right direction.

Local experts can also provide invaluable advice and support on Expatica's free Ask the Expert service.


Old Dutch cities with narrow, uneven streets and bikes parked everywhere are not brilliant terrain for those in wheelchairs, but access is improving.

Help is available getting to/through Schiphol airport and Dutch railways, and there’s a bureau for disabled travellers (call 030 235 7822 or register online) to request journey assistance. Your gemeente site will give local information, often in English, for the location of disabled parking places and other access issues, or look up zorg en welzijn and gehandicapten.


Wherever possible, children are encouraged to attend mainstream primary schools under the ‘Going to school together’ policy. A new Inclusive Education Act (Wet Passend Onderwijs) came into effect in 2014, which requires all schools to provide equal learning opportunities for every child.

The school of their choice – special or mainstream – will receive funding to cater for their needs, and the school will arrange assistance as required.

Parents can also opt for a special school, whether a speciaal basisonderwijs (SBO) school for learning and behavourial support or a speciaal onderwijs (SO) school for specific special needs. The language of instruction is Dutch, but children from a non-Dutch background can sometimes be taught in their mother tongue to help them settle in. You will find SEN teachers at international schools (public and private) where the language of instruction will be (mostly) English, but you may have to fund the assistant. Contact the school directly in the first instance. For higher education, ‘disability and education’ is an expert centre (website in Dutch).


Many services (such as transport) are supported by government funding but there is also financial support for individual families, such as additional child benefit, healthcare and carer allowances, and adaptations to home or transport. Search the government welfare site www.svb.nl to see if you qualify for a carer’s allowance (TOG) or a personal budget (PGB) to cover support costs.

Going out

A combination of wheelchair accessible activities and accommodation can be found at www.accessibletravelnl.com, and restaurants from several sites (for example, www.dinnersite.nl). Good sources for sporty types include Stichting Resa or www.fondsgehandicaptensport.nl. Amsterdam has a dedicated site detailing accessible buildings: www.toegankelijkamsterdam.nl.


De Zeeland offers adapted sailing trips for wheelchair users and families, and some campsites such as De Ruimte cater especially for children with special needs. Find out about accessible nature reserves and recreation areas at Staatsbosbeheer. For farther travels, organised group trips are available at www.gehandicaptenreizen.nl.

Assistance organisations (links mostly in Dutch)

Readers' recommendations:



Expatica Ask the Expert
Need advice? Post your question on Expatica's free Ask the Expert service to see if we can help.



Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

3 Comments To This Article

  • Sarah posted:

    on 25th August 2016, 10:32:47 - Reply

    Do you have information about how to access school counseling and/or resources for gifted children within the Dutch system? It is very difficult to get the attention of school administrators when your child does not have a clearly visible special need.

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert service]

  • Paula posted:

    on 24th December 2012, 14:45:05 - Reply

    Excellent summary article of services for expats with disabilities! The Netherlands has wonderful access to services and aid for persons with various disabilities, including children. Contact me or check out my blog (www.greenlightspeech.blogspot.nl) for details on speech therapy services for English speaking children.
  • special needs services posted:

    on 20th July 2012, 12:59:37 - Reply

    I am reading second time this blog and i liked the contents of the blog and i got the information about consignment of comics as i am interested in buying the comics.