Living in Luxembourg? Here’s a list of all the Luxembourgish public holidays you need to know in 2020, as well as other important dates to make a note of on your calendar.
Whether you’re living in Luxembourg or just visiting, it’s important to note these important Luxembourg holidays as many businesses typically close. In Luxembourg, the French word for public holiday is un jour férié, the German word is gesetzliche Feiertage and the Luxembourgish word is Feierdag.
To ensure you don’t miss out on anything important, our guide puts together a list of Luxembourg’s public holidays and important dates for your calendar.
Introduction to Luxembourgish public holidays
There are 10 official Luxembourg bank holidays: New Year’s Day, Easter Monday, Mayday, Ascension Day, Whit Monday, Luxembourg National Day, Assumption, All Saints Day, Christmas Day and the second day of Christmas (Saint Etienne/Boxing Day). There are also additional religious public holidays in Luxembourg, such as Good Friday and the afternoon of Christmas Eve. Some of Luxembourg’s holidays aren’t bank holidays in Luxembourg but still widely celebrated, such as Carnival Monday and Kermesse, the Annual Summer Fair; these are typically unofficial but customary holidays (jour férié d’usage).
When Luxembourg public holidays fall on a Thursday or Tuesday, it is common practice to ‘make the bridge’ (faire le pont) by taking off the Friday or Monday to make a long weekend. Luxembourg’s bank holidays that fall on a Sunday are usually observed on the following Monday. If a public holiday in Luxembourg falls on a weekend then employers must, by law, grant employees a compensatory day off within three months.
Save this list of Luxembourg bank holidays in 2020, plus other important holidays in Luxembourg and Luxembourg’s school holidays.
Luxembourgish public holidays 2020
- Wednesday, 1 January: New Year’s Day
- Friday, 10 April: Good Friday
- Monday, 13 April: Easter Monday
- Friday, 1 May: May Day/Labour Day
- Thursday, 21 May: Ascension Day
- Monday, 10 June: Whit Monday
- Tuesday, 23 June: National Day (Grand Duke’s Birthday)
- Saturday, 15 August: Assumption Day
- Monday, 7 September: Luxembourg City Kermesse (jour férié d’usage) – Luxembourg city only
- Sunday, 1 November: All Saints’ Day
- Friday, 25 December: Christmas Day
- Saturday, 26 December: St Stephen’s Day (Saint-Étienne)
Important dates in Luxembourg 2020
- Sunday, 29 March: Clocks go forward one hour as daylight saving time (DST) starts
- Sunday, 14 June: Mother’s Day
- Sunday, 4 October: Father’s Day
- Sunday, 25 October: Clocks go back one hour as daylight saving time (DST) ends