Sarkozy drops lawsuit over SMS report

, Comments 0 comments

President is dropping a lawsuit against a French weekly for reporting that he sent a text message to ex-wife Cecilia offering to call off his marriage

   PARIS, March 19, 2008 - President Nicolas Sarkozy is dropping a
lawsuit against a French weekly for reporting that he sent a text message to
ex-wife Cecilia offering to call off his marriage, according to a statement by
his new wife Carla Bruni to Le Monde newspaper.
   Sarkozy last month lodged the complaint against Le Nouvel Observateur for
reporting he had sent a SMS to Cecilia eight days before his marriage to
ex-model Bruni that said: "If you come back, I'll call it all off."
   A spokesman for Le Monde told AFP that a statement by Bruni is to be
published in Thursday's edition of the newspaper saying the president had
decided to withdraw his complaint.
   France Inter radio reported that journalist Airy Routier had sent a letter
to Bruni apologising for the article and admitting that it was wrong.
   During questioning by police earlier this month, Cecilia had denied
receiving such a text message.
   The president had filed suit February 7 against the weekly's website for
falsification and other charges in the case.
   Sarkozy remarried on February 2, less than four months after ending his
stormy 11-year marriage to Cecilia, with whom he has a young son, Louis. The
couple announced their divorce on October 18.
   Cecilia Ciganer-Albeniz is to marry events organiser Richard Attias in New
York on Saturday.  She had briefly left Sarkozy in 2005 for Attias.

AFP 

0 Comments To This Article