Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question



I am an American citizen with permanent residency in Germany (Niederlassungserlaubnis) and am considering moving to France to reside.

What is the formal procedure and is this doable? I am a retiree with sufficient income to provide for myself.

by Mike on 11 Oct 2009
Tony Martin

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Hi Mike

Thanks for the question. The usual answer I give with Americans is that you have to apply to the French Embassy in America before moving to France, in your case I would speak to the French Embassy in Germany and see if they can help you.

But I think that as you are still an American citizen that you will have to make contact with the French Embassy in America.

Americans that I have had dealings with that have come to France and decided to stay had to go back to America to then apply to come to France to live.

Hope this is helpful.

Best wishes


by Tony Martin on 13 Oct 2009

Expatica Offers