Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question

Lee French


Dear Janice Barnett,

I am currently living in Australia and undertaking lessons to improve my basic knowledge of French. I am looking to move to Paris to be closer to my partner. I have a Bachelor of Science (Hons) and have worked in the environmental industry for the last three years. I am happy to work within Environmental, Teaching, Real Estate or Electrician industries.

I was just wondering if you may have some advice how I may go about this?

Kind Regards,
Lee French

by Lee French on 01 Sep 2017
Janice Barnett

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Dear Lee

it is always a good idea to learn the local language when contemplating a move so well done for taking the initiative with that. You do not mention your nationality and, as I am sure you will appreciate, there are different regulations for EU and non-EU citizens. EU citizens do not need a visa or carte de séjour. Whilst many jobs will require you to have French qualifications, there is the possibility of having some UK qualifications recognised in France. To do this you will need to obtain a certificate of equivalence (see This site is also useful as it will give information as to whether your profession is governed by particular regulations. These regulations may cover qualifications you require, professional bodies you may need to be a member of or ever regulate the numbers of people in that profession in a given area. Both your local chambre de commerce and pole emploi (employment agency) may be able to help you further.

by Janice Barnett on 06 Sep 2017

Expatica Offers