Teen bicycle death case is reopened in wake of outrage

, Comments 0 comments

A public prosecutor has reopened an investigation into the death of a 17-year-old cyclist after the driver of the car that struck him sued his family for EUR 20,000.

29 January 2008

MADRID - A public prosecutor has reopened an investigation into the death of a 17-year-old cyclist after the driver of the car that struck him sued his family for EUR 20,000.

Juan Calparsoro, the chief prosecutor in the region of La Rioja, said Monday that he will review evidence suggesting that Tomás Delgado Bartolomé, the driver of the Audi A8 that hit Enaitz Iriondo on a rural road near the city of Haro in August 2004, was speeding and may have been drunk. Police had previously put the cause of the accident down to the fact that Iriondo was not wearing a reflective jacket.

The reopening of the case comes after the media began covering Bartolomé's efforts to exact EUR 20,000 from Iriondo's parents to compensate for the damage caused to his car and for the cost of renting another vehicle. The case, which has shocked many Spaniards, has led to a media frenzy around the dead boy's parents.

"We're overwhelmed by the response this has received, but it's what we wanted. Before, no one paid any attention to us," Antonio Iriondo, Enaitz's father, said at the weekend.

A video explaining what the family is going through made by Enaitz's sister has been viewed more than 40,000 times on the video sharing website YouTube, while the family has received messages of support from far and wide.

[Copyright EL PAÍS 2008]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article