German driver's licence

Driving in Germany using a foreign driver’s licence

Comments7 comments

To drive in Germany, you can use your foreign driver's licence for a set period before you need to obtain a German driver's licence, although conditions depend on your nationality.

If you want to drive in German, you can use your driver's licence for a set amount of time, although different conditions exist depending on whether you have a European Union (EU) licence or a non-EU licence.

Citizens from the EU/EEA (European Economic Area) can always drive in Germany using their national licence but everyone else will need to get a German driver’s licence after their first six months of residence in Germany. 

Driving in Germany

The driving age in German is 18 years (for cars), which means younger drivers who have a licence in their home country will not be able to drive in Germany.

Everyone more than 18 years old can drive in Germany using their foreign driving licence for the first six months of residence. After this non-EU/EEA citizens (EU plus Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein) will have to extend or exchange their licence for a German licence – and may need to take a written exam or driving test. 

EU/EEA citizens driving in Germany  

If you’re a citizen from an EU or EEA country you can drive in Germany using your own national driving licence for the duration of the validity of the licence. You will never need to exchange it for a German licence, nor do you need to provide a translated copy.

You must, however, fulfil these conditions: 

  • It must be a full, valid licence (ie. current and also not a provisional licence).
  • You must not have been disqualified.
  • You must comply with any restrictions (such as wearing prescription eyewear).
  • You must carry your licence with you at all times when driving.
  • You must have reached the minimum age in Germany for the category of vehicle you wish to drive eg. car drivers must be at least 18 years old.

Non-EU/EEA citizens driving in Germany 

Up to six months  in Germany

If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA, you can drive in Germany using your existing licence for up to six months after establishing your legal residency in Germany. The same conditions for EU nationals (above) apply to your licence, plus your place of residency must not have been in Germany when you obtained your foreign licence (to stop driver’s licence tourism). 

You may need to get your foreign driving licence translated if it is from outside the EU/EEA or not in the German language, or if it does not conform to the international (Vienna) convention specification for domestic driving permit, unless it's from:

  • Andorra
  • Hong Kong
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • San Marino
  • Switzerland
  • Senegal.

Check with the issuing authority in your home country.

You can opt to get an International Driving Permit (IDP), which provides a German translation of your licence, but you will still need to carry your foreign driver's licence as well.

Otherwise, you need to get your foreign driving licence translated by the ADAC (the German national breakdown and recovery service) or an internationally recognised motoring organisation.

After six months in Germany
To continue driving in Germany after the six-month period you must obtain a German driver’s licence (Führerschein) from your local driving licensing office (Führerscheinstelle) at the Bürgeramt (district city hall) or Rathaus (city hall) – you can find contact details doing an online search for the Führerscheinstelle in your area.

In exceptional cases the six-month period may be extended, mainly if you can prove to the authority that you will not have your legal residency in Germany for longer than 12 months. 

Exchanging a foreign driver's licence in Germany
The process for exchanging your foreign driver’s licence for a German equivalent is determined by whether a reciprocal arrangement exists with the country that issued your existing licence. Check with your local driver licensing office, or through your home country’s transport authority.

Depending on the agreement, for some countries you may have to sit a written exam and/or a driving test, while for others the process is a fairly simple one of forwarding documents without the need to take any additional tests. 
The documents that you will be required to submit are: 

  • identity card or passport; 
  • certificate of registration from the Residents’ Registration Office; 
  • recent photograph; 
  • original driver’s licence; 
  • certificate of good conduct (in some cases). 


A German driver’s licence (Führerschein) will be provided for the same category of vehicle upon request. Once a German driver’s licence has been issued the other licence will be retained and returned to the authority that issued it. 
Students are not considered to have transferred their legal residence, which means that they can continue to drive using their existing foreign licence. However if a student wishes to obtain a German licence they can do so, provided they have been a resident for at least six months.

German driving test 

You may be asked to take a driving test. If so, you’ll usually need to go through an official, certified Fahrschule (driving school) (ie. a family member does not qualify). The driving test consists of a computer-based, multiple-choice theory test, which you need to pass before taking the practical road test. You also have to take a first aid course and an eye test. Remember to take your passport along to the test. For more information and to find a driving school in Germany, see

Road rules and tips for driving in Germany 

  • In Germany you drive on the right hand side of the road. 
  • ‘Priority’ roads (marked with a yellow diamond) have right of way, and drivers coming from the right have right of way (unless posted otherwise). 
  • U-turns are illegal. 
  • Drinking and driving is banned: legal blood alcohol limit is 0.5g alcohol/litre of blood. 
  • It's illegal to leave the scene of an accident without getting help.
  • Keep your driving licence and vehicle registration with you when driving in Germany.  
  • Speed limits in cities are usually 50km/h and 30km/h in some areas. In rural areas it’s 100km/h. There is no legal limit on autobahns (motorways) but 130km/h is recommended. There may be speed limits along certain sections of motorway, so watch out for speed limit signs. Exceeding limits by more than 30km/h can mean a driving ban of up to three months plus a fine. 
  • You can only drive into low-emissions zones if you have a sticker showing that your car’s emissions are low enough. 
  • It’s illegal to drive wearing headphones – you must use hands-free systems with phones. 
  • Winter/all weather tyres must be fitted in winter. 
  • You must carry a warning triangle and a first aid kit. 

Driving your own car in Germany 

If you’re driving your own car in Germany, the car must be registered at your nearest car registration office after 12 months in Germany. Contact the office to ask what documents they require but they will include proof that the vehicle belongs to you (your car registration document from your home country) and your car insurance policy.  

Your car must also pass an inspection at an authorised garage to confirm it passes safety and emissions standards. You’ll get an inspection sticker for your number plate. You can only drive into low-emissions zones if you have a sticker showing that your car’s emissions are low enough. For more information on the inspections, see TÜV NORD and DEKRA.

For more information 



Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

3 Comments To This Article

  • SDM posted:

    on 14th September 2016, 12:05:47 - Reply

    So as an Australian seeking residency in Germany, do we or don't we have to sit exams etc to obtain a drivers permit ? br sdm

    [Moderator's note: You can also post questions on our Ask the Expert free service.]

  • Mark posted:

    on 16th November 2012, 06:00:02 - Reply

    tks for your comment geoff... it is much appreciated. Have to go through the sam process.
  • geoff posted:

    on 15th November 2012, 21:19:17 - Reply

    You also need to have an eye test at an Augenoptik shop like Apollo-Optik or Fielmann. The test involves a standard machine with little 'C's at various angles and is actually quite difficult if you are older. If you cannot pass it you will have to go to an Optiker (optician) who can apparently give you the required certificate without the diabolical 'C' machine.
    I went through the process of converting my Australian license and it was straightforward, requiring no practical or theoretical exams.