The German Way: When a Brötchen is a Bömmel

The German Way: When a Brötchen is a Bömmel

Comments1 comment

Germany may now officially be a Federal Republic, but that doesn't mean the regions see eye-to-eye on language.

One definite preference in Germany is for dense, dark bread made with various combinations of wholewheat, spelt, rye, seeds and nuts – it accounts for over 90 percent of bread consumption.

But the small, white, crusty bread roll also maintains an iconic status – whether presented in a wicker basket to accompany a breakfast spread, ripped up and dipped into your Linseneintopf at lunch, or as a quick snack zwischendurch. Indeed, walk the streets of Berlin late in the afternoon and you’ll barely see a child go by who isn’t gnawing on one.

You’d have thought, then, that buying such a white bread roll is relatively straightforward. But it’s not. Why? Well, it’s not a problem of availability. Every bakery, supermarket and Spätverkauf (after-hours corner shop) will have shelves full of them. Nor is it a matter of price. Even your most expensive bio (organic) bakery will sell you one for less than 50 cents; cheaper outlets will be almost giving them away for less than 20 cents.

The issue is of nomenclature. Put simply: wherever you go in Germany these rolls are called something different – completely different. What’s a Schrippe to a Berliner is a Weck to a Swabian.

And woe betide, you get it wrong. The stern bakery assistant will wrinkle up his or her nose and give you that look of scorn, reserved only for those moments – enough to make the most confident German speaker want to be quickly swallowed up by a large sinkhole in the bakery floor.

To spare other expats and visitors to Germany this shame, I’ve pulled together a brief guide by region to what you should be asking for and where, along with the origins of the word where I could find them. Oh, and here‘s a handy map from Die Zeit, which presents the challenge visually rather prettily.

Brötchen: High German, Rhineland, parts of Northern Germany – simply the diminutive of Brot, which makes sense really, given that these rolls are little breads.

Semmel: Bavaria, Saxony and Austria – derived from the Latin similia for ‘wheat flour’.

Rundstück: Hamburg, Schleswig-Holstein – a reference to the rounded shape.

Schrippe: Berlin and parts of Brandenburg – comes from schripfen which means aufkratzen or ‘scratch’, referring to the indentations on the top of each roll.

Weck: Baden-Württemberg, Franconia and Saarland – a throw back to the middle high German word Weck which means Keil or ‘wedge’, again a reference to its shape.

Bömmel: Hiddensee, a little island in the Baltic Sea, and other parts of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern – I don’t know, but it is remarkably similar to the German word Bommel for ‘bobble’, as in on a hat, but that’s pure speculation.

In all fairness, we Brits are not much better – try asking for a ‘floured bap’ or ‘breadcake’ in London and you’ll be laughed all the way to the nearest tube station.


Reprinted with permission of The German Way.

Chloë is a freelance writer, blogger and marketer, who grew up in Hull, England, and then studied History and German in Oxford. During her student year abroad, she fell in love with Berlin and vowed to return one day. Following a seven-year stint living and working in London in publishing and education consultancy, she married a German and moved to Berlin, where she still lives with her husband and three-year-old twins.

Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.

If you believe any of the information on this page is incorrect or out-of-date, please let us know. Expatica makes every effort to ensure its articles are as comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date as possible, but we're also grateful for any help! (If you want to contact Expatica for any other reason, please follow the instructions on this website's contact page.)

Captcha Note: Characters are case sensitive
The details you provide on this page will not be used to send any unsolicited e-mail, and will not be sold to a third party. Privacy policy .

1 Comment To This Article

  • Gary posted:

    on 17th February 2016, 22:20:01 - Reply

    It"s the same thing in the US with sandwiches. The elongated rolls cut lengthwise in half are called Submarines, Subs, Grinders, Hoagies, Hero, Wedge, Blimpie, Po-Boy or Spuckie depending on where you are.