Mother of missing Swiss girls raise question of accomplice

15th February 2011, Comments 0 comments

The mother of missing Swiss twins on Tuesday raised the possibility that the father of the girls had picked up an accomplice on his journey through France.

"We are asking ourselves if Matthias Schepp had picked up an accomplice at the airport in Lyon," Irina Lucidi told Swiss online newspaper 20 minuten.

Swiss police confirmed that Schepp was in the region of Lyon on the evening of January 30 as his mobile phone signal was picked up then.

Police spokesman Jean-Christophe Sauterel would not confirm that Schepp travelled to the airport, but noted that the mobile "relay antenna is in the region of Lyon and covers the sector in the direction of the airport."

French police were checking on Saturday a report of a mystery woman who was seen with Schepp and the six-year-old twins in the French island of Corsica.

Olga Orneck, a resident of the small ferry port of Propriano, told AFP that the woman was "aged 45-50 with brown hair and was wearing a black three-quarter-length coat and white trousers."

"She wasn't from Propriano or I'd have recognised her," she added.

Meanwhile a resident at Macinaggio said that he saw a blonde woman sitting in Schepp's car while the twins' father was driving.

20 minuten however quoted Lucidi saying that she has "never met a woman who fits this description."

Quoting sources close to the family, the newspaper also reported that police have retrieved a voice recorder belonging to Schepp, although it added that the recorder did not contain any important elements regarding the girls' fate.

Police in Italy, France and Switzerland have been hunting for the two girls after Schepp failed to return them to their mother on January 30.

It later emerged that Schepp confessed in a letter sent to his estranged wife to killing six-year-old Alessia and Livia before he threw himself under a train in Italy.

Investigators have focused their search on Corsica over the past few days after witnesses came forward to say they had seen Schepp and the two girls there on February 1.

According to the police inquiry, Schepp allegedly left Corsica on the same day, alone, aboard a ferry to mainland France from where he drove to southern Italy, where he committed suicide.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article