Three dead after Brussels flat fire

, Comments 1 comment

The blaze started when a child set fire to a teddy bear with a cigarette lighter.

Two young children were killed and their father seriously injured in a flat fire in the Brussels municipality of Vorst on Friday night. A third child from the same family was rescued by the Fire Brigade. The child who started the fire in another flat in the same building and the child's mother were able to escape the blaze uninjured.

The blaze started when a child set fire to a teddy bear with a cigarette lighter in a flat on the first floor of the building.

The fire quickly spread to the second floor where the two dead children lived.

Their father’s attempts to rescue them proved fruitless and he was rushed to hospital with severe burns.

His condition was initially described as critical.

The man died in hospital from his injuries on Saturday.

flandersnews.be/Expatica

1 Comment To This Article

  • Vivianne Staplehurst posted:

    on 16th March 2009, 11:10:15 - Reply

    In the UK, household items, sofas, beds etc HAVE to contain the safety certificate stating that these have a fire proof certificate. The Uk are constantly arguing that these implementations come from Brussels...Does this ruling not include children's toys?