Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question

Ken Oldfield


Wife is Belgian. She worked in Belgium for 14 and for 2 years in Germany before moving to Canada. I am Canadian. We have returned to Belgium and have lived here on a permanent basis for the last 12 years.
Does my wife (and/or I) qualify for the state portion of health care coverage.
We have been paying our total coverage bill with Partena who claim my wife did not work long enough in Belgium to qualify.

by Ken Oldfield on 22 Nov 2017
Dany Coppens

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Good afternoon,
Legal health insurance is based on social security contributions (by working or having an allowance).
Depending on your specific situation regarding income, there can be coverage by legal health insurance.
The number of years working, does not determine having coverage or not.
Once there is an income in Belgium while having your residence in Belgium, the coverage should be activated.
Kind regards,
Dany Coppens

by Dany Coppens on 28 Nov 2017

Expatica Offers