Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question



I was married for 17 years to a Belgian diplomat and lived around the world. I am from the US. We are divorced. Can I claim part of his retirement pension since I lived outside my own country in order for him to have his job, and I did not pay into the US social security during those years? Thank you!

by Susan on 29 Sep 2012
David Kuenzi

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Hi Susan,

Thanks for your inquiry.

You have no standing to claim an US social security benefits unless either you or your husband paid US social security tax for a sufficient enough time to receive a benefit. We are not familiar enough with the Belgium pension system and pension law to determine what standing you would have to make a claim on the pension of a former Belgium spouse. I would presume that any right would have been specified in the divorce agreement, but you should consult a Belgium family law specialist for definitive answer.

David Kuenzi

by David Kuenzi on 23 Dec 2012

Expatica Offers