Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question




I have a question regarding Dependent resident permit renewal process.

I am Indian citizen and my wife is leaving to India for pregnancy, i have WP renewal this year end and she will not be in Brussels during dependent renewal process. And could you suggest feasible option for her to travel to Brussels again in 2017?


by Vignesh on 26 Sep 2016
Evelyne Van der Elst

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Dear Vignesh,

Thank you for your question.

If a foreign national leaves Belgium and the residence permit expires during their time abroad, they are obliged to request an early renewal of their residence permit to allow them to return to Belgium.
In your spouse's situation, this will be difficult since her immigration status depends on you and the approval of your work permit extension.

In this regard, it is advisable to discuss her file with the Immigration Office prior to your wife's departure.

Other options could be to request a return visa at the Belgian embassy in India or to file a new family reunification application that allows you wife to re-enter Belgium. However, in these situations you risk lengthy processing times (up to 9 months) which would most likely not work in your situation.

If you want further assistance in your case, I would ask that you contact me directly.

Kind regards,
Evelyne van der Elst

by Evelyne Van der Elst on 27 Sep 2016

Expatica Offers