Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question



Hi Dany,

I`m coming to work as a volunteer to Belgium for 12 months, starting from next January. I have a European Health Insurance Card, but as I suspect I might need dental treatment while staying in Belhium, I wondered if my EHIC card is good enough as I read that most dentists in Belgium are private.

Thank you in advance

by Heta on 02 Dec 2016
Dany Coppens

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Dear Heta,
The European Health Insurance Card is applicable for urgent medical care in the country you stay temporary.
As you probably know dental care is covered by legal health insurance, except for crowns, bridges and implants.
If you transfer your residence to Belgium you can get enrolled into the Belgian legal health insurance by a E106 or S1 form delivered by your health insurance organization in you home country. This forms is applicable for not only urgent care.
Kind regards,

by Dany Coppens on 07 Dec 2016

Expatica Offers