Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question



I am an Australian citizen with a work visa for the UK, with my own ltd company in the UK. I have been offered a contract position in Brussels for 6 months and the employer hopes to hire me on a permanent basis next year, if their financial results pick up.
What visa, if any, do I need to work here on a short term contract. The professional card takes months to obtain and will stop me from accepting. . or can I work for 3 months without a visa and apply for one while I am working? tks

by Melissa on 03 Aug 2010
Matthias Lommers

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Dear Melissa,

The Belgian company can decide to hire you with an employment contract for a definite duration.

Before employing you in Belgium, the Belgian employer will need to obtain a work permission/work permit for you. The process to obtain such a work permit takes about 2 to 3 weeks. A regular work permit (type B for highly qualified employees) can be issued towards foreign employees holding at least a bachelor degree and earning a yearly gross salary of at least 36.355 Euro.

Note that the employed activities in Belgium cannot be started before you have obtained the work permit. Working without a work permit for a period of 3 months is not possible.

Best regards,


by Matthias Lommers on 05 Aug 2010

Expatica Offers