Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question



I am a non EU (india) Citizen currently working in Belgium on expat arrangement. I am told by my Indian employer, that the social security is exempted for US;
When I had been to Mutualittie regarding my SIS card, i was told whehter my employer pays the Social security.
Since my employer is exempted, Will I be able to get the SIS card without paying any SS?
I hope I am clear

I wrote the same to one of your colleague who is a tax consultant, he asked me to wrtie it under employment

by ANNA on 16 Mar 2010
Matthias Lommers

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Dear Anna,

We understand that you are an Indian national who is currently assigned to Belgium by your Indian employer. We understand that you are not subject to the Belgian social security system in accordance with article 8.1. of the bilateral treaty on social security between India and Belgium which entered into force on 1 September 2009.

Unfortunately this bilateral treaty does not contain provisions with regard to sickness or health risks. As a result hereof, you are not entitled to receive reimbursement of medical care while working and residing in Belgium. Hence, you should not affiliate with a Belgian health insurance fund and should not receive a SIS card.

In these kinds of situations, the employee and/or his employer generally subscribe to a private insurance for the coverage of medical care.

Best regards,


by Matthias Lommers on 23 Mar 2010

Expatica Offers