Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question



Dear Mr Lommers - my current situation is as follows, I have a Belgian registered company, a professional card and a residence permit linked to my wife's work permit Type B. I am a contractor, currently my contract is based in Germany. I would like to make my Belgian company and professional card independent of my wife's permit. Can I do this if I do not maintain a residence in Belgium?

by Grant on 11 Oct 2010
Matthias Lommers

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!



It is indeed possible for you to change your residence status from dependent to independent worker, simply by filing such a request with the communal authorities of your official place of residence in Belgium. It will take the Belgian migration services a few months in order to treat such a request, therefore it is not recommended to file such a request just a few months prior to the expiry date of your current Belgian residence permit.

During the processing of your request, you must remain resident in Belgium.

Once you are no longer residing in Belgium, you lose the right to maintain a Belgian residence permit. Therefore you will not be able to file a request to change your residence status if you no longer reside in Belgium.

Please note however that foreigners who are in possession of an establishment permit (electronic identity card type C and D, valid for 5 years) are entitled to have a residence abroad for maximum one year under certain conditions.

In case you wish more information in this respect, please contact us.

Inge and Matthias

by Matthias Lommers on 14 Oct 2010

Expatica Offers