Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question



Dear Matthias - I'm a US citizen married to a UK citizen. Last year we moved to Brussels from the US and in Dec registered with our commune. I received a 5-mo. temporary residence permit that will expire in May. I just found a job with a Belgian company. IAs the spouse of an EU-national I know I'm exempt from a work permit.
Do I have the right to start work immediately, i.e. having only the initial 5-mo. residence permit? Can an employer make me wait until the 5-yr residence permit is issued?

by Chris on 04 Apr 2011
Matthias Lommers

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Dear Chris,
We understand that you are married to a EU-citizen and recently moved to Belgium. At the time being, you are in possession of a temporary residence permit (valid for 5 months). You wish to know whether you are already exemption from being in possession of a work permit in order to work in Belgium.
In view of the above, we hereby would like to inform you that foreigners who are married to a EU-citizen are indeed exempt from being in possession of a work permit. This rule applies as of the day you marry. Since you were already married when you moved to Belgium, you are indeed exempt from being in possession of a work permit, even though you are currently in possession of the temporary residence permit.
Should you have any further questions in connection herewith, please do not hesitate to contact us.

by Matthias Lommers on 20 Apr 2011

Expatica Offers