Search through previously asked questions

Ask the expert Question

Maria Vasileva


Dear Christian,

We are in the following strange situation. We bought an apartment in April this year with a mortgage loan and abatement. We are to move in June, so in fact we have still not registered at the new address. We also started renovation works. However, the neighborhood and neighbors are not what we expected, it does not feel safe and we don't want to keep this apartment. Additionally we received the news that my parents need to stay with us, and the apartment will be too small.
Are there conditions which we could benefit from which will allow us to sell the apartment without owing the registration fee for the first 175 000?
I know such conditions include moving out of the country. But as this will not be the case and we would like to sell this and buy another apartment with abatement, I am wondering if this is regulatory possible.

Many thanks for your help in advance!

by Maria Vasileva on 09 May 2018
Christian Hasiba

This expert is currently inactive and not able to take new questions!


Hello Ms Vasileva,

Please check with your Notaire but if you sell for a reason of 'force majeure' you do not have to pay the registration fees (I guess a change in your family structure - parents have to live with you - can be considered one).

You can even ask for the abattement again for the new apartment if you sell your current apartment within 24 months from the purchase of the new one.

Do you need help you with the sale of your property?

Christian Hasiba
0478 20 95 52

by Christian Hasiba on 15 May 2018

Expatica Offers