Slain S.African extremist didn't fight back: expert

20th October 2011, Comments 0 comments

South African white extremist leader Eugene Terre'Blanche did not try to defend himself against the machete blows that killed him, an expert witness told a court Thursday.

Two black farmworkers are charged with hacking the 69-year-old separatist leader to death in April last year and leaving him on his bed with his pants pulled down.

"It is my opinion that the injury to the head was the first injury, followed by the face, and then the chest and thighs," said forensic doctor Ruweida Moorad on the penultimate day of the trial.

Terre'Blanche, founder of the white-separatist Afrikaner Resistance Movement, was killed while lying on his back and was likely knocked unconscious by the first blow, she said.

The murder, at his farm in the northwest town of Ventersdorp, revived lingering racial tensions from the apartheid era.

The autopsy report said he had suffered numerous injuries to his face and body, but none suggesting self-defence. In earlier testimony, police said he was found with semen on the tip of his penis.

Both accused -- 29-year-old Chris Mahlangu and a 15-year-old minor who cannot be named -- have pleaded not guilty to all charges.

The pair turned themselves in after the murder, and police said they had confessed to killing their boss following a fight over wages.

But the accused deny that version of events. The minor denies any involvement in the murder, while Mahlangu says he killed Terre'Blanche in self-defence after the farmer attacked him with a machete.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article