Out The Box 2011: 3-11 September
Out The Box is the largest puppetry and visual performance festival in Africa, catering to both adults and children.
Out The Box is the largest puppetry and visual performance festival in Africa, catering to both adults and children over a ten-day period, with shows running throughout the day and every evening. Out The Box pushes the boundaries of puppetry and visual performance, building bridges between artistic and cultural communities and stimulating a love of diversity in the arts.
The focus of Out The Box is visual performance - performance that moves beyond naturalism and text and creates diverse imagery, using puppetry, objects, video, art, dynamic multimedia, poetry and physicality. Visual performance encourages experimentation and the integration of artistic mediums. Building on the success of its previous years, audience enthusiasm and the outstanding local and international artists, Out The Box is leading the way in this cutting edge art form.
"The festival is the biggest of its kind in Africa and boasts an array of mind- blowing talent... Out The Box is a very busy week with bucket loads of performances, workshops, talks, films and exhibitions" - Cape Argus 2008
The Out The Box festival is a multicultural event that creates opportunities for cultural and artistic interaction. It includes several diverse outreach and training programs. The festival brings together exposure through performances, exchange through workshops, expansion through diverse mediums (such as film, dance, theatre) and cultural and artistic interaction through the creation process and festival atmosphere in which it all takes place.
Out The Box is the only arts festival with a child-centered aspect to the program in the Western Cape. It provides arts education and exposure to hundreds of learners annually and provides opportunities for families to develop a love of the arts together.
The Adult Festival 2011 will include:
- Local and International Visual theatre productions
- Art installations/live art pieces (site-specific installation, live art performance, kinetic art, interactive art)
- Iqonga (platform for short experimental pieces by professionals and emerging artists)
- Active Puppets (puppetry training and social development)
- Illustrated talks and conference (leading ideas on contemporary visual performance will be discussed.)
- Practical workshops (for professionals and the public)
- Street performances, carnival and festivities.
- Film (a film program of stop motion animation and puppet films)
The Family Festival will include:
- Exhibition of puppet creations