Arrest warrant issued for Pistorius: local media

4th December 2015, Comments 0 comments

An arrest warrant has been issued for Oscar Pistorius, a day after the Supreme Court of Appeal found the former athlete guilty of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, South African media reported Friday.

The ENCA television news channel said the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) -- which did not confirm the development -- would not enforce the arrest until next week when the disgraced Paralympian, currently under house arrest, is expected to apply for bail.

The Supreme Court of Appeal on Thursday found Pistorius guilty of murdering Steenkamp in 2013, throwing out his earlier conviction on the lesser charge of culpable homicide.

"The NPA said yesterday they will look at the judgement. They have now obtained a warrant of arrest for Oscar Pistorius in light of the fact that he is now in limbo," ENCA reported.

"The state will wait until Tuesday next week, where we understand (Pistorius's lawyers) will bring the bail application," the channel added.

Pistorius, 29, is under house arrest in Pretoria after serving one year of his five-year prison sentence for culpable homicide.

The appeal court on Thursday said the original trial judge had made "fundamental" errors in her ruling.

The double-amputee athlete known as the "Blade Runner" now faces a minimum 15-year sentence for murder.

He killed Steenkamp, a model and law graduate, in the early hours of Valentine's Day two years ago, saying he mistook her for an intruder when he shot four times through the locked door of his bedroom toilet.

Last month he made his first appearance in public since leaving jail in October when he reported for community service at a Pretoria police station.


© 2015 AFP

0 Comments To This Article