Wounded British photographer evacuated from Libya
British photographer Guy Martin, who was wounded last week in a mortar attack which killed two journalists, was evacuated by boat on Monday from besieged Misrata, an AFP journalist said.
The freelancer working for the Panos agency had his spleen ruptured in Wednesday's blast. He was taken by ambulance -- conscious and on an intravenous drip -- to the port to be taken to Malta.
He was operated on immediately after being wounded in an explosion that also killed award-winning photographers Tim Hetherington, a 40-year-old Briton with dual US nationality, and American Chris Hondros, 41.
"He has been in good condition since," said Dr Khalid Abu Falra at the Hikma clinic in Misrata where the casualties of last week's attack were taken.
A French journalist-blogger critically wounded by a stray bullet in Misrata is still in intensive care in the clinic, according to his colleagues who have contacted the French authorities to try to arrange his evacuation.
© 2011 AFP