UK urges Arab League response to Syria peace plan failure
British Foreign Secretary William Hague on Tuesday urged the Arab League to respond "swiftly and decisively" to Syria's failure to implement a plan aimed at ending eight months of bloodshed.
Hague also called on Syria to "lift the siege of Homs", the only major city to remain outside the regime's control, and to withdraw forces from the country's towns and cities in line with its agreement with the Arab League.
"It is deplorable that despite making a commitment to the Arab League to end the violence last week, the Syrian government has escalated the repression and many more people have died as a result," said Hague in a statement.
"I call on the Arab League to respond swiftly and decisively to the Syrian regime's failure to implement the agreement so far," he said. "The international community looks to these Arab nations to show decisive leadership to address this crisis in their midst."
Hague urged the regime to end the siege of Homs and "allow in international and relief efforts (and) to withdraw all Syrian forces from the towns and cities of Syria in accordance with its agreement with the Arab League."
Syria must also "implement all other aspects of the agreement in full," he said.
Under the agreement struck between Syria and the pan-Arab bloc, President Bashar al-Assad must open talks with the opposition and withdraw tanks from the streets.
On Tuesday, opposition group the Syrian National Council urged the Arab League to stand strong against Assad's regime as the United Nations said its crackdown on dissent had left more than 3,500 people dead.
© 2011 AFP