Two Britons, one British resident die in Egypt balloon crash

26th February 2013, Comments 0 comments

Two Britons and a British resident were among up to 19 tourists killed when a hot air balloon exploded in the Egyptian city of Luxor on Tuesday, Britain's Foreign Office said.

"We can confirm the tragic deaths of two British nationals and one British resident following a hot air balloon crash in Luxor, Egypt earlier today," the Foreign Office said in a statement.

The British resident is understood to be Hungarian.

Another British tourist is "in a stable condition" following the accident, the Foreign Office said.

The ministry said it was providing consular assistance to the families of the three victims, while Britain's ambassador to Egypt has met the injured British national to offer help.

Tour operator Thomas Cook earlier said the Britons involved in the accident had been on holidays booked through the company.

Thomas Cook has temporarily suspended sales of hot air balloon rides in Egypt pending an investigation into the crash, which occurred during a sunrise flight over the ancient temple city.

Peter Fankhauser, chief executive of Thomas Cook UK and Continental Europe, said: "What happened in Luxor this morning is a terrible tragedy and the thoughts of everyone in Thomas Cook are with our guests, their family and friends."


© 2013 AFP

0 Comments To This Article