Two British contractors among dead in Kabul: London
Two British contractors were among 13 foreigners who died when a Taliban car bomber struck a NATO convoy in the Afghan capital Kabul on Saturday, the Foreign Office in London said.
Officials had said they were all Americans, but a spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said Sunday that NATO now believed the 13 included two Britons and the Canadian soldier whose death had previously been announced. Four Afghans also died.
"We have learned that two British nationals were among the 13 killed in yesterday's attack in Kabul," a Foreign Office statement said.
"Next of kin have been informed. Our thoughts are with the families of all who died, ISAF (International Security Assistance Force) personnel and contractors, Afghan forces and civilians.
"Consular staff in Kabul are in close touch with the employer of the deceased. We stand by to provide any consular assistance to their families."
On Saturday, the Afghan interior ministry said three bystanders and a policeman were killed in the attack, while NATO's alliance force said at least 13 foreigners died -- five troops and eight civilian employees.
US officials said these 13 were all American but the latest information from ISAF appears to contradict that, the Foreign Office spokeswoman said.
"We believe it was 13 people, and two of those were British nationals. Because of the nature of the incident, it has been difficult to identify some of the nationalities," she said.
© 2011 AFP