Timeline of British shooting spree
Here is a timeline of the shooting spree which killed 12 people in the picturesque Lake District area of northwest England on Wednesday:
- 10:35 am (0935 GMT) -- Police called after shots fired near centre of coastal town of Whitehaven. A short time later, officers issue a public warning to people living in Whitehaven, plus nearby Egremont and Seascale, to stay indoors.
- 12:18 pm -- Cumbria Constabulary says a "a number of people" have been injured in a series of shootings.
- 12:35 pm -- "There are a number of fatalities," police announce.
- 12:41 pm -- Police name the suspect as Derrick Bird, 52, a local taxi driver, and issue a photograph, warning people not to approach him.
- 1:00 pm -- Bird is reported to have abandoned his car near Boot, a small village some 20 miles (32 km) south of Whitehaven, and to be travelling by foot.
- 1:04 pm -- Radio Cumbria reports that at least four people are feared dead.
- 1:40 pm -- Bird's body is found in a wooded area near Boot.
- 3:02 pm -- Prime Minister David Cameron tells the House of Commons in London that at least five people have died, saying he is "alarmed and shocked" by the massacre.
- 5:25 pm -- Deputy Chief Constable Stuart Hyde says 12 people were killed and 25 injured, three of them critically, before Bird took his own life. Officers were investigating at 30 separate crime scenes.
© 2010 AFP