Three Britons dead in 'despicable' Nairobi attack: PM
Three Britons have been confirmed dead in an attack at a Nairobi shopping mall by Somali Islamist militants, Prime Minister David Cameron said Sunday, condemning the attackers as "sickening and despicable".
"What we know is that three British nationals have been killed," Cameron said.
"Because the situation is ongoing, we should prepare ourselves for further bad news," he added indicating that the British toll could rise.
Cameron described the attack in the Kenyan capital, which has so far left 59 people confirmed dead, as "an absolutely sickening and despicable attack of appalling brutality".
"Our thoughts also should be with the Kenyan government and the Kenyan people at this time," he said.
The British premier said he had offered Kenyan authorities "every assistance" over the ongoing siege at the upmarket Westgate mall during a telephone call to President Uhuru Kenyatta.
The perpetrators of the attack "don't represent Islam or Muslims in Britain or anywhere else in the world", Cameron said.
The British government's emergencies committee COBRA met for a second time on Sunday over the siege.
French, Canadian, Chinese, Indian, South Korean and Ghanaian citizens are among those confirmed to have been killed in the siege at the mall, which is popular with wealthy Kenyans and expatriates.
© 2013 AFP