Thomas Cook reports loss on Egypt, Tunisia unrest

9th May 2011, Comments 0 comments

Thomas Cook announced on Monday net losses of £200 million in the first half as the British travel group was hit by unrest in key tourist spots Egypt and Tunisia, while it predicted more losses ahead.

Thomas Cook said losses after tax totalled £200.8 million (228 million euros, $329 million) in the six months to March 31, slightly down on the group's net loss of £211.8 million in the first half of 2010.

"As previously reported, travel restrictions to Egypt and Tunisia early this year resulted in approximately 160,000 cancellations, of which 120,000 were for travel to Egypt and 40,000 to Tunisia," Thomas Cook said in a statement.

Thomas Cook added that its expected "a further financial impact of around £35 million in the second half of the year".

Violent citizen protests gripped Egypt and Tunisia in early 2011, forcing their leaders from power.

Thomas Cook had already suffered in 2010 due to weak demand for holidays following the worldwide recession.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article