Stars pay tribute to 'fearless' and 'brilliant' Bowie
The death of music icon David Bowie drew tributes from around the world Monday, with figures from music and show business recalling his transformation of music and trailblazing, androgynous style.
Here are some of the reactions:
- Madonna: "Talented. Unique. Genius. Game Changer. The Man who Fell to Earth. Your Spirit Lives on Forever!"
"This great Artist changed my life."
- Friend and collaborator Iggy Pop: "David's friendship was the light of my life. I never met such a brilliant person. He was the best there is."
- The Rolling Stones: "The Rolling Stones are shocked and deeply saddened to hear of the death of our dear friend David Bowie. As well as being a wonderful and kind man, he was an extraordinary artist, and a true original."
- Long-term Bowie producer Tony Visconti: "I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it. He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us. For now, it is appropriate to cry."
- US musician Kanye West: "David Bowie was one of my most important inspirations, so fearless, so creative, he gave us magic for a lifetime."
- Singer and producer Pharrell Williams: "David Bowie was a true innovator, a true creative. May he rest in peace."
- British Prime Minister David Cameron: "I grew up listening to and watching the pop genius David Bowie. He was a master of re-invention, who kept getting it right. A huge loss."
- Actor Russell Crowe: "RIP David. I loved your music. I loved you. One of the greatest performance artists to have ever lived. #sorrow".
- Comedian Ricky Gervais: "I just lost a hero. RIP David Bowie."
- German foreign ministry: "Good-bye, David Bowie. You are now among #Heroes. Thank you for helping to bring down the #wall."
© 2016 AFP