Security alert level unchanged after Qaeda reports: Germany
Germany said on Wednesday that it was aware of Al-Qaeda's "long-term" aim to attack Western targets, that it had no evidence of any "concrete" plans and that its risk assessment was unchanged.
"Accounts, particularly in US and British media, saying that Al-Qaeda has long-term plans to launch attacks in the United States, Europe and also in Germany are known to the (German) security services," an interior ministry statement said.
"This information, which comes from the intelligence services, has been and is being analysed and assessed by the German intelligence services with the appropriate sensitivity and intensity, and in cooperation with international partners.
"At the moment there are no concrete indications of any imminent attacks on Germany resulting from this. The current information does not change our risk assessment."
Reports on Britain's Sky News, the BBC and ABC News in the United States said that an Al-Qaeda plot to carry out Mumbai-style terrorist attacks in Britain, France and Germany had been uncovered.
The source of the threat information was a suspected German suspect captured on his way to Europe and now being held in Afghanistan, said ABC, citing intelligence and security officials in the United States and Europe.
Germany's ZDF public television reported on Wednesday that the suspect has been in custody in Afghanistan for several weeks and has been interrogated several times.
© 2010 AFP