Second arrest in N.Ireland police murder probe
Police on Thursday questioned a second man in the widening investigation into the murder of a Catholic policeman in Northern Ireland, police said.
The 40-year-old suspect was arrested after police stopped a car on the road between Omagh, where the policeman was killed by a car bomb on Saturday, and the town of Ballygawley.
He was being questioned with a 26-year-old man, who was arrested when police swooped on a van in a residential street in Scotland on Wednesday.
Detectives also raided a house in the Irish capital Dublin on Thursday.
Both the men arrested were also being questioned about an arms dump found in Northern Ireland, which included Kalashnikov rifles, ammunition and explosives, possibly Semtex.
Police described the find as "one of the most significant in recent years".
A senior security source told AFP that the two arrests were "very significant" and more arrests were expected.
The source said experts were struggling to be specific about the contents and construction of the booby trap bomb that killed the policeman as he left for work because it had been totally obliterated in the explosion.
He added that the guns found in the arms dump were believed to have been smuggled in by criminal networks from eastern Europe.
No group has yet claimed responsibility, but the attack has been blamed on dissident republicans opposed to the peace process in the British-run province and is believed to be aimed at deterring Catholics from joining the police.
The policeman's funeral on Wednesday produced a remarkable show of cross-community condemnation of the attack.
© 2011 AFP