Scottish officials contact Lockerbie bomber's family
Scottish officials in charge of overseeing the Lockerbie bomber's parole said Monday that contact had been established with his family at the weekend.
The Scottish government and East Renfrewshire Council said Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi had not breached his parole conditions but refused to confirm a CNN report that he was "near death."
"Over the course of the weekend, there has been contact through Mr al-Megrahi's family," said a joint statement from the government and the council.
"There was no evidence of a breach of his licence conditions, and his medical condition is consistent with someone suffering from terminal prostate cancer."
It added: "As has always been said, Megrahi is dying of a terminal disease, and matters regarding his medical condition should really be left there."
A source at the council said that contact was made with the family through email and the local authority was able to quickly establish the authenticity of the message.
The job to keep tabs on Megrahi fell to East Renfrewshire Council because his family had a home in the area.
Megrahi was only man convicted for the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am jet which killed 270 people when it blew up over the Scottish town of Lockerbie.
The Scottish government took the decision to free the Libyan, who was in Greenock prison in the west of Scotland, on compassionate grounds on August 20, 2009, saying he had only three months to live due to cancer.
He had served just eight years of a minimum 27-year sentence for his role in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103.
CNN reported Sunday it had located Megrahi "surviving on oxygen and an intravenous drip" under the care of his family.
© 2011 AFP