Rupert Murdoch says 'no evidence' 9/11 victims were hacked

19th July 2011, Comments 0 comments

Rupert Murdoch told a committee of British lawmakers on Tuesday he had seen 'no evidence' at all that the voicemails of 9/11 victims had been hacked into.

"We have seen no evidence of that at all and as far as we know the FBI haven't either," Murdoch said.

"If they do, we will treat it exactly the same way as we treat it here.

"I cannot believe it happened from anyone in America. Whether someone from the News of the World or Mr Mulcaire took it on himself to do it, I don't know."

Private investigator Glenn Mulcaire was jailed for six months in 2007 after pleading guilty to phone hacking charges in an English court.

Asked if he would commission an investigation if the 9/11 allegations subsequently proved true, Murdoch replied: "Absolutely."

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article