Report delivered on NewsCorp's BSkyB takeover bid

31st December 2010, Comments 0 comments

Britain's telecommunications regulator delivered to the government Friday its report into News Corporation's takeover bid for pay television giant BSkyB.

Ofcom said it had handed over the report to Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt, who will now decide whether to refer the bid to the Competition Commission, the body responsible for investigating mergers and takeovers.

The regulator had been asked to advise whether the plans would restrict the range of British media voices.

Ofcom did not reveal the contents of its document.

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation has bid 7.8 billion pounds (12.2 billion dollars, 9.1 billion euros) for the 61 percent of the Sky News broadcaster that it does not already own.

Responsibility for the case was transferred to Hunt after Business Secretary Vince Cable was recorded telling undercover reporters that he had "declared war" on Murdoch's media empire, causing a wobble in Britain's governing coalition.

Cable was reprimanded both by Prime Minister David Cameron and Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, the leader of Cable's Liberal Democrat party.

An Ofcom spokesman said: "Ofcom can confirm that it has submitted its report into the public interest considerations to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport."

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article