Rebel deadline for Kadhafi to step down 'expires'

27th July 2011, Comments 0 comments

A deadline for strongman Moamer Kadhafi to step down and remain in the country has expired, the chief of Libya's rebel Transitional National Council said on Wednesday.

"We made a proposal. The deadline has past. The proposal has expired," Mustafa Mohamed Abdel Jalil said of what had been a three-point offer made through the United Nations special envoy.

Abdel Jalil told a press conference in rebel bastion Benghazi the NTC had delivered to Abdul Ilah al-Khatib "a very specific, well-intentioned offer that Kadhafi can stay in Libya under three conditions."

Under the offer, Kadhafi would have to step aside and relinquish all responsibilities, the place of his residence would be the "choice of the Libyan people" and he would be under "close supervision," Abdel Jalil said.

"The period of this proposal has passed," he said. "We cannot ignore the fact that the people who have been standing against him want him out."

The NTC chairman also hailed a decision by Britain to recognise the rebel council as the country's sole legitimate government after dramatically expelling all remaining staff loyal to Kadhafi from the London embassy.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said in London he had invited the NTC to take over the embassy and appoint an official envoy in a major boost for the movement fighting Kadhafi's regime.

"We express tremedous appreciation for this recognition," Abdel Jalil said.

"We will try through this recognition to obtain a large portion of the frozen funds," he added, referring to assets of Kadhafi frozen under international sanctions.

"Kadhafi and his followers as a result of all these recognitions from the international community have become outlaws," he said.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article